Re: ODBC & Oracle9i

From: Nathan Carney <ncarney_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:23:29 +0000 (UTC)

Also check you sqlnet.ora file $ORACLE_HOME/NETWORK/ADMIN - this may have added a .xxx.com extension to the tnsnames entries

Can you tnsping NHEMS from a command prompt?

SQL*NET has now been called NET? (for Oracle 8i it was Net8 - so possibly Net9i).

Although you SID is NHEMS what is your tns_names alias. I have one for example which is TEST_COMP01 -comp01 being the name of my computer and TEST the Global_name / SID.

Have fun

Nathan

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:Wry48.5549$Om2.17352_at_rwcrnsc53...
> Try using sqlplus. Login with sqlplus and use NHEMS. If that does not
work
> try NHEMS.world and see if that works. Asl try putting nothing in.
> I am assuming sine this is a nonnetworked environment that you are trying
> do this on the same machine the database is on.
> Jim
> "William O'Neill" <wfoneill_at_mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Using Oracle 9i(Enterprise) on WIN2K, in a non-networked environment.
> Have
> > installed same on my home computer to assist me with learning this new
> > version of Oracle.
> > For the life of me, I cannot establish a ODBC connection to my DB. The
> > listerner is 'listening,' and my TNSNAMES.ora file seems to be fine,
since
> > can connect to the DB, but when trying to establish an ODBC profile, I
get
> > the dreaded msg ORA - 12154: TNS: could not resolve service name. My
SID