Re: clients experiencing slow connections...

From: Nathan Carney <ncarney_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:23:27 +0000 (UTC)

A Wong

This sounds like a possible performance tuning job. I would start by looking at Server, network and database performance. I assume by slow connections your users are meaning that they click a button in the application and wait an age for the next screen to appear / fill etc.

I am only conversant with playing properly on Sun Solaris boxes. At a Unix level you want to check that swapping isn't occurring - On Sun top, SEtoolkit and RMCmem are good utilities to name a few, AIX nmon also seems useful - on most platforms sar is also useful. I generally tell clients that less that 25% idle CPU and > 10% WIO for extended periods shows a OS level performance issue. Swapping must be avoided at almost any cost. It is also worth looking for very hot disks - High utilisation along with low data transfer rates shows high random reads and to mountpoints with hot datafiles.

For the database pre 8i using utlbstat and utlestat from svrmgrl will give a good indication as to what the database bottlenecks are. On 8i + Perfstat will give a much better organised report and also list worst performing SQL. The key is often that incorrect or inadequate indexing has been implemented (assuming you can't re-write the application). If the cost based optimizer is being used ensure that the dbms_system.analyze_schema procedure is being run frequently as bad explain plans may be being used due to out of date statistics.

Networks are my weakest area network monitoring tools may show up hot spots in your network that are slowing down response times.

The normal quote is that 90% of performance improvement can be attained by application tuning and yet Sys admins and DBA's get asked to tune the remaining 10% far too often.

Hope this is a good started.

Nathan