Re: clients experiencing slow connections...

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:23:44 -0000

This sort of problem is always tricky.

First you need to isolate the problem e.g. server, network, client.

Are the ping times to the server reasonable - if not, it could be a network problem, what is performance like to other servers? When performance problems occur, is the server heavily loaded - cpu utilisation, paging, disk i/o. In my limited experience, excessive paging tends to cause the worst performance problems. You don't say what the server is, if NT, the task manager has a performance tab showing CPU and commited bytes (memory utilisation) and available bytes. When performance is bad, can you logon to the server locally in good time? By connect, do you mean the time taken to connect to the database e.g. in sqlplus, or the time taken to load the application? Many application read a large amount of data on startup.
If you do a clean client install, how does it perform?

What has been changed: network configuration, oracle startup parameters, new applications loaded on the server, failed disk in a RAID5 array that hasn't been noticed. If NT, are there any messages in the event log?

The vendors suggestion is unlikely to help.