Re: MONITORING

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:29:47 -0000

To mis-use the quotation:
  "Publish and be damned"

The oinly way we improve our guesses is
to hear other people who have differing details from different experiments.

I've just spent 3 days lecturing an audience that included Steve Adams, James Morle, Anjo Kolk, Stephan Haisley, John Beresniewicz and Bjorn Ensig; and I learned several very interesting details by saying:

    "When you do X, you observe the following anomaly     appearing on your system. But I can't explain why X     makes this happen."

Inevitably, someone from the audience would immediately say - "That's because .... "

This lead to an interesting 'Oak Table' discussion (still ongoing) about the concept of building a website dedicated to reproducible test cases. Basically it would contain a number of SQL scripts - each one describing a test designed to measure, or investigate, some feature of how Oracle works.

Inevitably the test cases would evolve as more people used them, and enhanced them to push the boundaries of their understanding - inevitably some conclusions from the results of test cases will be wrong. But if you don't start somewhere, you don't get anywhere.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now running 3-day intensive seminars

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of: