REPOST: Re: Where is select for update nowait skip locked documented?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:17:39 GMT

Lothar Armbruester doodled thusly:

>Now the questuion is: Is the SQL intentionally undocumented or is that
>simply a mistake? Or am I too blind to find it in the docs?

I believe it is intentionally undocumented. First time I came across it was by looking at the cached SQL in an Oracle Apps site. Oracle uses it quite liberally there, but doesn't talk about it at all. Not nice.

Having said that, I have a distinct re-collection it was mentioned at some stage in metaclick. Although I haven't seen it in ages.

In practice I've found it not to be of much use. It can be used effectively, but you're much better off addressing the design of the app so you never have to do it in the first place.

Why? Well, if you use it and Oracle pulls the rug from under your feet by removing it at a later stage, you won't be able to complain and you're up for re-design anyway. So, bite the bullet early and get rid of it now.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Sat Jan 26 2002 - 20:17:39 CST