REPOST: Re: Interesting warehouse design challenge (long)

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:47:35 GMT

Take the average row size and multiply by the number of rows and divide by the block size. That will give you a value for how many db_block_buffers you need. So if the average row size is 100 bytes and there are 700,000 rows and each db_block is 8192 bytes we have 100*700000/8192=855 That is how many db_block_buffers the table would take. Jim
"markoos" <no_at_spam.com> wrote in message news:2Vx48.52181$d16.8906500_at_typhoon.nyc.rr.com...
> 1 mat. view for each clause is great if they are stagnant, but we
> unfortunately have the requirement that they can change during the day.
>
> It's 700,000 records. How can I know how big to increase the size of the
> SGA to fit the whole thing?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -M
>

> "Keith Boulton" <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know too much about it, but could you not build a materialised
> view
> > for each where clause and refresh it each time the main data is
refreshed.
> > did something similar recently and it improved performance enormously,
> > althouh it eventually turned out to be unnecessary ( improving run-time
> from
> > .3 seconds to 0.02 doesn't seem worthwhile).
> >
> > How big is the table? You may find that you can increase the size of the
> SGA
> > to hold the entire table - in one case, I got a 10-fold performance
> > improvement from this.

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Sat Jan 26 2002 - 07:47:35 CST