REPOST: Re: Oracle Certification question

From: Daniel A. Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:30:14 +0000

My experience is the same. I've never even been asked.

I doubt the people that have interviewed me even knew such a certificate exists.

Daniel Morgan

Keith Boulton wrote:

> Not having OCP has never stopped me getting work.
>
> I doubt it affects salary - that largely depends on your negotiation and
> bullshitting skills.
>
> Many people (unfortunately, they often become managers) like to have labels
> attached to others based on simple criteria ie he's a DBA, he's got a
> certificate.
>
> As someone else has said in this newsgroup, more and more companies are
> using certification to filter candidates before the interview stage. I
> imagine this trend will continue.
>
> Jason <foucault4_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
> > hi everyone...
> > if it's inappropriate to post this here, please accept my apology and let
> me
> > know...
> >
> > i was wondering what you all think about Oracle Certification. i just
> > passed the first test in the DBA track and i'm wondering if, at $125 a
> shot,
> > it is going to be worth it to take the rest. i'm sure there are a lot of
> > variables in answering this, but basically what i'm looking for is your
> > opinion as to whether someone with X number of years of hands-on job
> > experience with Oracle AND the OCP certificate is a more desirable job
> > candidate or can expect to command a higher salary than someone with the
> > same experience but no certification? i can see where someone without any
> > experience or very little would be greatly benefited by having a paper
> that
> > says they know what they're talking about, but i would suspect that this
> > advantage would diminish with experience. agree? disagree?
> >
> > also, any other opinions you have on the testing would be welcome. for
> > instance, best guess on how many Oracle DBA's in 10 are certified?
> opinions
> > on the classes... instructor-led vs. self-paced CDs?
> >
> > thanks...

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Sat Jan 26 2002 - 04:30:14 CST