REPOST: Re: 2 overlapping indexes

From: D.Y. <dyou98_at_aol.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2002 08:25:56 -0800

If you are using Oracle8i the simple solution is to create an index on A,B,C,D, either unique of non-unique, and then create a unique constraint on A,B,C. Oracle will use the existing index to enforce your unique constraint since the leading columns in your index are the same as you want in your constraint. If your DB is still pre-Oracle8i you are out of luck.

cjestrada2_at_yahoo.com (cj) wrote in message news:<432b083a.0201241929.7c3405a6_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have a table with column A, B, C, D and E. The data is unique on A,
> B and C so I create a unique index on that. Now I would also like to
> create a non-unique index on A, B, C and D. Is there a space
> efficient way of doing it by declaring table constraint on A, B and C
> and then using the index with A,B,C and D? TIA.

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Fri Jan 25 2002 - 10:25:56 CST