REPOST: Re: 2 overlapping indexes

From: Slarti <1012-873_at_gmx.de>
Date: 24 Jan 2002 23:30:41 -0800

Yes, define an (non-unique) index on A, B, C AND D. If you are using the index it will work as expected.

Well, if you need the FIRST (A, B, C should be involved) three attributes as an index only, the defined index will work also. But do not try to start in the middle or at the end of the index attribute list. It's only possible to start at the beginning of it (means A), therefore you can have following implicit SUBindexes (let me name it this way): declared index is "ABCD" => A - AB - ABC.

It works if you have an unique index and with a index sublist, which would then be non-unique; but the other way? You may get a problem with uniqueness, but it's up to you handle this and depends on your needs. Try it.

Regards

cjestrada2_at_yahoo.com (cj) wrote in message news:<432b083a.0201241929.7c3405a6_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have a table with column A, B, C, D and E. The data is unique on A,
> B and C so I create a unique index on that. Now I would also like to
> create a non-unique index on A, B, C and D. Is there a space
> efficient way of doing it by declaring table constraint on A, B and C
> and then using the index with A,B,C and D? TIA.

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Fri Jan 25 2002 - 01:30:41 CST