REPOST: Re: 2 overlapping indexes

From: Daniel A. Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:03:21 +0000

Take a good look at your example.

Record 1 ABCD = X 1 Y 2
Record 2 ABCD = X 1 Y 3

I'm sorry but your ABC is the same "X1Y" in both cases. You have not reflected what was stated in the original posting.

This is more likely the worst case possible:

Record 1 ABCD = X 1 Y 2
Record 2 ABCD = X 1 Z 2

Daniel Morgan

miker wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:39:39 -0000, Norman Dunbar
> <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I must be missing the point here :
> >
> >id A,B,C are unique then surely A,B,C,D *must* also be unique if the
> >columns are in that order.
>
> Record 1 ABCD = X 1 Y 2
> Record 2 ABCD = X 1 Y 3
>
> ABCD is unique but ABC is not. If you put a unique index on ABCD then
> you do not enforce ABC uniqueness. I think the guy wants to enforce
> unique constrant AND speed up retrieval of ABCD record.

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Fri Jan 25 2002 - 04:03:21 CST