Re: Replication / Offline Template instantiation / Sequences

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:00:09 +0100

Stephen B wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> I wonder ..what if you explore something along this line of thinking...in
> your main server you issue and maintain the sequence numbers
> on the master table..and remember, I don't know the details of your
> environment but..suppose you only assign "permanent" primary key values
> from the sequence on the server once new records are uploaded from the
> laptops?
>
> In other words, you do pretty much what you're already doing except skip the
> "allocating" of sequence numbers..so, each laptop user refreshes their copy
> of the table
> and sees every record with the primary key value assigned at "head
> office"....when they create a record in the field, their "pending" table has
> all the information but either
> no primary key or a primary key generated by a sequence that is on the
> laptop (via your template)...when the laptop user connects and uploads their
> new records you ignore the primary key (if any) created on the laptop and
> then assign the primary key in the standard way when the records get
> inserted into the master table...
>
> I'm probably not explaining it well, but the idea is you don't worry about
> assigning a permanent primary key value at the time the record is created on
> the laptop,
> only when you get it on the server...

<snipped>
Stephen,

 thanks for looking into this.

Unfortunately, the application is written by a thrid party; I cannot change
the model (and a change it would be; dismissing PK columns, being referenced
by foreign keys on other tables, etc) that much. Would such a rewrite be allowed,
the sequences could all be discarded - unfortunately such a change cannot
be implemented in the timeframe given. What else is new?

--
Gtrz,

Frank van Bortel