Re: Oracle9i Standby Database Question

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:11:40 -0800

Depends on whether this was a graceful shutdown of the primary or not. If it was not, then what you've done is a failover. The database that started as the primary cannot be used as a new standby database. This must be completely rebuilt using backups and logs from the new primary (old standby) database. The normal failover process that forces database recreation occurs when all of the available archive logs are applied to the standby database, and the standby is opened as the primary using the following SQL command:

alter database activate standby database;

When this command is executed, a resetlogs operation is performed automatically on the standby and the new logs cannot be applied to the old primary.

If however, you've done a switchover (new in 9i) then you're OK. Switchover is possible only if the standby and its primary database can be brought to the same point in time. The prerequisites of initiating switchover include:

.1. The primary database has been shut down in an orderly fashion; that is, SHUTDOWN NORMAL, SHUTDOWN TRANSACTIONAL or SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. .2. All archive logs required to bring the standby to the primary's point in time are available.
.3. The primary database's online redo logs are available and intact, as are its data files and control files.

--
HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete
Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA