Re: Oracle Failsafe

From: CQ <carmen.b.quinn_at_drexel.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:35:28 -0500

Hi Jason,

We did an install of MS Cluster Service and Oracle Fail Safe a couple of months ago. What we found to be very helpful is a document from the Microsoft site, 'Step-by-Step Guide to Installing Cluster Service'. Also there is a note on Metalink - 74009.1, 'Oracle Fail Safe Step-By-Step Installation and Configuration'. We used those two documents and got through the install successfully.

We had a problem because we didn't use unique subnets for the private and public interfaces, so that's very important. My database lesson learned is that it is best to put the init.ora on a shared drive and the alert logs on private drives. That way you only have to update one init.ora when there are changes, and when there are messages to the alert log, you can determine which server had ownership at the time. We are using Oracle 8.1.7.0 and Fail Safe 3.1.2 on Windows 2000 servers.

Good luck,

Carmen