Re: Oracle 9iLite with Java on Palm - Help!

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:44:52 GMT

Shawn Jensen doodled thusly:

>The first line of code says:
>
>import java.sql.*;
>
>I cannot find any of the java.sql packages in the oracle installation.

java.sql.* is part of the standard JRE for whatever target environment you may have. Get it from Sun?

>Also, this is the database link - "jdbc:polite:polite", "system", "" - On
>
>the Palm, I dont know whether this link would look different or not?

The install doco tells you what names to use on the Palm.

>So this is what i'm trying to figure out. I dont know if there's some other
>
>way of connecting to the lite database on the Palm and then carrying out the
>
>usual SQL queries. I cannot find any documentation regarding this. Can you
>
>help me with this?

Not much. I haven't had much luck in getting 9i Lite to talk to my WinME. 8i Lite works fine, but 9i refuses to even install...

But I think you won't be able to run Java inside the Palm with the 9i Lite stuff. AFAIK, there is no JRE for the Palm from Oracle. You'd have to chase that up somewhere else. You can of course use Java and jdbc in the PC to connect to Lite there. And have the standard delivery conduit program synchronize the Palm and the PC dbs. But to run something *inside* the Palm you need Palm specific sdk. Dunno if 9i Lite provides ones, I suspect it doesn't. 8i didn't.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Fri Jan 25 2002 - 07:44:52 CST