REPOST: Re: Oracle OCP Book - Is This Correct?

From: Tom Dyess <tdyess_at_dyessindustries.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:23:02 GMT

I personally don't like certifications, especially Microsoft's. Unfortunately, the market is tight and a lot of companies are using them for weeding out candidates. I got turned down for a job where I could have easily done all the work and have numerous times because I didn't have a cert. Such is life I guess.

Tom
www.oraclepower.com

"Daniel A. Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3C500216.D2A82EDC_at_exesolutions.com...
> Not based on the certifications. But if you could look at pages of the OCP
exam
> book and point out the errors ... absolutely!
>
> I'm not saying an OCP is a black mark ... rather than it is worth less
than an
> answer to a real-world question.
>
> Daniel Morgan
>

> Pete Sharman wrote:
>
> > Hmm, so I now have 7.3, 8.0, 9i and 9i DBA certification. Does that
mean
> > you wouldn't consider me for a job? Dang! ;)
> >
> > --
> > HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
> >
> > Pete
> > Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"
> >
> > "Controlling developers is like herding cats."
> > Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
> >
> > "Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!"
> > Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA
> >
> > "Daniel A. Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > > Thank you for your answer, your honesty, and your integrity.
> > >
> > > A few points ...
> > >
> > > First the statements we have found incorrect are incorrect going back
> > 8i: Not
> > > just in 9i. In some cases incorrect going back to 7.3.4.
> > >
> > > Second no person should fail an OCP exam because they gave the correct
> > answer to
> > > a question and Oracle messed up.
> > >
> > > Third, as those that follow this usenet group know, I have no respect
for
> > > certifications because it has been my experience that those that have
them
> > know
> > > how to memorize and pass tests ... not do the job. This just adds to
my
> > reasons
> > > not to consider certifications when hiring employees and contractors.
> > >
> > > Daniel Morgan

> > standard_disclaimer

> > walk a
> > be
> > weight.
> > someone
> > some

> > reader
> > exam,
> > DBA
> > (and I
was
University
> > write
> > THEY

> > out
> > the
> > the
> > changed
> > of
> > books
> > sure it
> > book

> > those of

> > working
> > not

> > test?'
> > wrong.

> > the
> > obvious
> > say

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Thu Jan 24 2002 - 17:23:02 CST