REPOST: Re: DESC difference between 7 & 8?

From: Thomas Wagner <twa_priv_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2002 13:50:55 -0800

The describe command in sqlplus 8.1.x now considers the sqlplus linesize setting. Try to set linesize to 100 and you will see field name, nulls and datatypes.

Thomas

"Daniel A. Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3C4FF0EE.437068F7_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Not true. You have something very very wrong.
>
> Daniel Morgan
>

> Calvin Crumrine wrote:
>
> > We're in the process of moving from 7.3.4 on Netware to 8.1.7 on Win2K.
> > I was dismayed to discover that the DESC command acts differently on the
> > 2 servers. Is this controllable? Maybe the defaults are set differently?
> >
> > When connected to the 7.3.4 server DESC lists both field names &
> > datatypes. When connected to the 8.1.7 server DESC lists only the field
> > names. If there's not a default setting I can change is there a script I
> > can run to list both field names & datatypes? We've been relying on this
> > as a quick way to check the datatypes when writing applications.
> >
> > TIA.

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Thu Jan 24 2002 - 15:50:55 CST