REPOST: Re: Oracle OCP Book - Is This Correct?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:24:46 +0000

Thank you for your answer, your honesty, and your integrity.

A few points ...

First the statements we have found incorrect are incorrect going back to 8i: Not just in 9i. In some cases incorrect going back to 7.3.4.

Second no person should fail an OCP exam because they gave the correct answer to a question and Oracle messed up.

Third, as those that follow this usenet group know, I have no respect for certifications because it has been my experience that those that have them know how to memorize and pass tests ... not do the job. This just adds to my reasons not to consider certifications when hiring employees and contractors.

Daniel Morgan

Pete Sharman wrote:

> I don't think any of us Oracle folks that monitor this group are
> particularly qualified to answer, in that none of us work for the
> Certification group. However, having been through this mill a couple of
> times with another publisher (not Oracle Press), there are a couple of
> comments I would make as my personal viewpoint (select standard_disclaimer
> from company_requirements).
>
> Firstly, the certification process and the Oracle Press books need to walk a
> very fine line.. They carry the name of Oracle but still must strive to be
> seen to be impartial and unbiased for the certification to have any weight.
> To that end, you'll find the Oracle Press books may be written by someone
> who is not an Oracle employee. In this case, for example, I can't find
> Jason in our employee database. The writing of the book would therefore
> seem to be totally out of Oracle's control, even though there must be some
> form of relationship between Oracle and Osborne (if memory serves me
> correctly, this is who actually publishes the Oracle Press books).
>
> Secondly, as an author of an exam cram myself let me tell you I found it
> damn difficult sometimes to write the book in the way needed for the reader
> to pass the exam. WHen you're writing a book on how to pass an OCP exam,
> the paramount thing for you to remember is that you are writing the book to
> assist the reader in passing the exam, NOT to assist in making them a DBA
> (for example). Let me give you an example from when I wrote the 8i
> Architecture and Administration exam cram. That particular OCP exam (and I
> suppose the others as well though I can't be definitive about that) was
> written based on the course material for the matching Oracle University
> course. In that course, it said that the database buffer cache is aged
> based on an LRU algorithm. As we probably all know, that is in fact not
> correct. It's based on a touch count algorithm. However, I had to write
> the book based on the answers that were expected by the exam EVEN IF THEY
> WERE WRONG.
>
> As a final comment, let me say that when a new version of a book comes out
> that is based on the previous version (as it probably was in this case), the
> author generally starts with the material from the previous version of the
> book and then modifies it as necessary. Sometimes things that have changed
> are not picked up, even though this is one of the prime responsibilities of
> the author and to a certain extent the technical reviewer. With the books
> that I was the technical reviewer for before writing my own, one of my
> responsibilities was to execute each and every piece of code to make sure it
> worked. Obviously, some things just slipped through the cracks in the book
> we're discussing here.
>
> Remember, all opinions here are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of
> Oracle!!!
>
> --
> [...]

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Thu Jan 24 2002 - 05:24:46 CST