Can joins be less efficient?

From: NoSpam <NoSpam_at_NoSpam.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:13:55 -0500

I'm working on the code written by somebody else. What this code does is that it makes a query to the DB to obtain a resultset. Then from each row of the resultset, it repeatedly makes a second query to obtain a second resultset by using the key field in the first as a key to the second. It is very obvious that the two queries can be combined with a simple join. But this person insisted that there are times that cascaded reading of the resultsets can be faster than a simple join but he couldn't give me an example. I just wonder if it really can be true and under what circumstances that reading two resultsets can be faster than a single resultset with a join when a common key field exists in both tables.

TIA Received on Thu Jan 24 2002 - 13:13:55 CST