SYSTEM schema in SYSTEM tablespace

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:26:00 GMT

Platform: 8.0.5 on NT 4

I have been often advised that the only schema that should own objects in the SYSTEM tablespace is SYS; that even SYSTEM should be assigned to other tablespaces just like any other user.

All of our db's still have SYSTEM assigned to the system tablespace (though his temp tablespace has been reassigned to a temp ts). I have discussed this with my partner and he says he sees no need to create the recommended TOOLS ts and move SYSTEM's objects to it. I have nothing to counter except "everyone says to do it that way." Is there any demo/test I could do to demonstrate to both of us why this is good practice?

And on a related issue, I see that the user SYSTEM is created when you issue a CREATE DATABASE, so at that point the only TS available is the system ts. If you follow Oracle's procedures, the next thing to do is run CATLOG and CATPROC. At the conclusion of those, SYSTEM has objects in the system ts. What's standard practice to insure that SYSTEM's objects end up where they really should be? Create DB, and then create your TS's before running CATALOG and CATPROC? TIA.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)