ora-1652 - old subject, new twist?

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:41:07 GMT

Platform: Oracle 8.0.5, NT 4

Occasionally I get an ora-1652 against a SYSTEM tablespace. I have double checked that all users, including SYS and SYSTEM are set to use a temp ts as evidenced by this query:

TEMPORARY_TABLESPACE

NLCTMPTS
=== end quote ===

A Google search of the ng archives turned up this quote from Sybrand:

In the instances I'm looking at, we were not creating indexes.

Could it be that this "temporary until committed" mechanism is also happening during normal index maintenance resulting from inserts and deletes? If not, what the heck am I seeing here?

TIA

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)