Re: Oracle 8i - what is Global domain name

From: Murali <oraclems_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2002 08:00:06 -0800

Cecil D'Souza <ceecil_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3C4E90DB.62307B7_at_hotmail.com>...
> Roman Mirzaitov wrote:
> global database name consists of DB_NAME and DB_DOMAIN parameters from
> initSID.ora file. You should put them there before db creation. These
> parameters reflect name and location within a network. A combination of
> DB_NAME and DB_DOMAIN should be unique in your network.
>
> Reply:
>
> From where do you get the InitSID.ora file when it is asking for the global
> domain name while installing?. The InitSID.ora file is non existent at this
> point. I am having the same problem. So I just typed 'clinical'. However, I
> aborted the install for some other reasons but I still did not understand
> what they meant by global domain name.
>
> Can anyone explain how to continue?

The database configuration assistant will create the init.ora file for you after installing the software, during database creation. The installer wants to know what to put in the init.ora file for the global database name. I think there are two fields that you have to fill out, the Global name and the SID. Both CAN be the same if that is the only database with the name clinical on your network. Or your global name can be clinical.world (or clinincal.your.network.domain) and sid clinical. It really doesnt matter unless you are going to use database links and you have two databases called clinical. You have done fine by typing in 'clinical'. Just click "next" to continue.

Murali
http://www.dbaquest.com/ Received on Wed Jan 23 2002 - 10:00:06 CST