Re: problems with lost datafile

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2002 06:17:19 -0800

I have never encountered this problem myself, but, try the following:

  1. Create a new tablespace for these indexes, something with a different name than the one you lost.
  2. Write sql to create sql to rebuild all invalid indexes or all indexes that were lost in the missing tablespace. Basically you want select 'alter index' ,owner||'.'||index_name, 'rebuild tablespace NEW_TABLESPACE;' from dba_indexes where tablespace_name = 'YOUR_LOST_TABLESPACE'
  3. Take the output of #2 and run it to perform the rebuilds. I've done something similar to the above when I've needed to rebuild indexes.
  4. Once all of the indexes are rebuilt from the missing tablespace, you should be able to perform an offline drop of the missing tablespace. Note that you must do the tablespace and not the datafile, as the datafile name will stick around in the data dictionary until the tablespace is completely dropped.

HTH,
Pete's