Re: Cynicism was LMT and Siebel/Peoplesoft?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:01:42 GMT

Niall Litchfield doodled thusly:

> A good Developer uses the latest and greatest tools.

hopefully... most likely he's forced to use whatever the deranged "architect" has found will deliver the biggest kickback-sorry-I-meant-savings.

>It also shows here where I see
>developers advocating .net (it could equally be J2EE) because xml will glue
>all these apps together and the n-tier architecture answers your performance
>and scalability problems.

all I can say about all this .net/xml rigmarole is:

*yawn*

or if you prefer: "much ado about nothing". Anyone expecting a lot from all this "technology" is either a newbie or is thick as two bricks side by side...

>Frankly , though I like the technology I don't
>believe it will bring the benefits advertised, we've been able to link apps
>together and publish services through various API's for at least 10 years.

Exactly! It's not like it's a new thing. All these moves to "standardize" the s/w and web industry always remind me of Apple and their development karma: "we provide a flexible development environment, but you step outside the code in our books and it's your neck".

That's exactly what all this .net/xml is all about: use it only and *exclusively* and you have no compatibility problem. Of course .net is proprietary, but let's not allow sense to creep into this.

That's no definition of "standardization", that's a _monopoly_! Is that all these "brains" can come up with?

>Vendors don't do it. I don't see why they should start now that we have a
>different way to achieve similar results.

absolutely! however, we should look at what exactly constitutes "vendors" nowadays. If there is one thing that has been happenning slow but sure over the last 5 years is the gradual disappearance of choice in this industry. Less and less vendors every day. H/w and s/w both!

Scary, reminds me of the old days of IBM and the BUNCH. All in the name of "standardization", of course. Funny, but that was the argument back then too...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Jan 23 2002 - 07:01:42 CST