Re: client can't connect after RRAS has an external connection

From: Kevin Dauch <kevin.dauch_at_nettest.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2002 12:45:11 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<fdib4us6fn6g4tbqhvjhqbudrjr6da165r_at_4ax.com>...
> On 16 Jan 2002 10:22:42 -0800, kevin.dauch_at_nettest.com (Kevin Dauch)
> wrote:
>
> >Help...
> > I have a java client that connects to an Oracle (8.1.5) database
> >on Windows NT Server SP5. The connection is made via jdbc and Oracle
> >Thin client. This server also has Routing and Remote Access
> >installed. When another computer dials in and a ppp connection is
> >made, the client which is colocated on the server, can't connect to
> >the database. When I do a tnsping of the Oracle databse it returns
> >OK. I have noticed that before a dialup connection is made to the
> >server, I can tnsping the hostname of the server. After a dialup
> >connection is made a tnsping of the server's hostname fails. I have
> >to believe that the Oracle listener is no longer fully connected to
> >the database. Any ideas of what to look for would be apreciated.
> >Thanks.
> My suspicions are this is not being caused by Oracle at all, but by
> Routing and Remote Access.
> Did you try an ordinary dos ping? It looks to me you can't even get
> contact to the server.
> Did you check the database is running. tnsping only demonstrates a
> listener is running on the server.
> Did you check the listener.log file?
> Listener are not connected to databases permanently at all, so that is
> not the type of problem to search for.
>
> Hth
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I'm beginning to think that the RRAS is the problem, but I can ping the server by hostname, in this can qprobe15 after there is a remote connection made to the server.
I can tnsping the database before another computer makes a ppp connection to the server. But after an external connection is made, i can't tnsping the database.

Here is the result of the tnsping command, please disregard the ]

] tnsping qprobe
]
] TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
on 22-JAN-02 ]16:32:46
]
] (c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
]
] Attempting to contact

(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=qprobe15)(PORT=1521)) ] TNS-12535: TNS:operation timed out

And here is the listener.log that was generated from the issuing of the above command. please again disregard all the ]

] TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on 22-JAN-02 16:32:22

]
] (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
]
] System parameter file is D:\Oracle\Ora81\network\admin\listener.ora
] Log messages written to D:\Oracle\Ora81\network\log\listener.log
]
] Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC0)))
] Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=qprobe15)(PORT=1521)))
] Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(PROTOCOL_STACK=(PRESENTATION=GIOP)(SESSION=RAW))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=qprobe15)(PORT=2481)))
] TIMESTAMP * CONNECT DATA [* PROTOCOL INFO] * EVENT [* SID] * RETURN
CODE
] 22-JAN-02 16:33:09 * service_register * QPROBE * 0 ] 22-JAN-02 16:33:09 * service_register * QPROBE * 0 Any Ideas??? Received on Tue Jan 22 2002 - 14:45:11 CST