Re: when i upgrade a databasesoftware, the database created on it will upgrade auto?

From: Murali <oraclems_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2002 07:40:16 -0800

Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:<3C4D292C.9B630C10_at_mytoys.de>...
> > > The installer will ask you if you want to migrate the database (if your
> > > oratab is kept up to date). But I would suggest to do it manually.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Knut
> >
> > There is no database migration involved between patchsets (it's only
> > between versions, like 8.0.6 to 8.1.7). As for the original question,
> > as a part of the patch process, you are required to run some cat*
> > scripts to upgrade your database after applying the patch. This should
> > be documented in the patch README files.
>

> Regards,
>
> Knut

> Call it what you want, migration or not,

It's not what I want to call it, it is what Oracle calls it. Patching and migration are two different things altogether. Migration is upgrading a database (not the software; it is installed fresh) from one version (call it distribution) to the other. Applying a patch is like a fix for the bugs in the current version, so you actually upgrade the software with new binaries.

> the fact is that the installer
> lets you "patch" the database if you want

How and in what stage of the patch ? I have never seen any screen in the UI where you can supply the username/password to connect to the db during patch application so that the installer can "patch" the database also. How does the installer connect to the database ? What if I have changed the passwords ? Dont confuse "database" with "software". The installer copies the new binaries (with the bug fixes) and relinks them. That's it. You may have to manually run catalog, catproc and other catalog scripts specific to your database (like maybe catrep) to upgrade the database. What you actually need to do will be in the README.

>(I am quite sure that it asks
> for a migration...).

So the installer asks you if you want to migrate the database from version 8.1.7.0.0 to the same version, different patchset 8.1.7.1.0 (or any patchset that your db is on) ? I would advise you to file a TAR in Metalink. It must be a bug.

Murali
http://www.dbaquest.com/ Received on Tue Jan 22 2002 - 09:40:16 CST