Re: High Availability servers

From: Slava <leichivp_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2002 07:14:27 -0800

bchorng_at_yahoo.com (Bass Chorng) wrote in message news:<bd9a9a76.0201210917.eaaa1a_at_posting.google.com>...

> leichivp_at_my-deja.com (Slava) wrote in message news:<a775741a.0201180000.7803c126_at_posting.google.com>...
> > "A Wong" <ajkwong5_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<jxr18.7067$0c.238526_at_news3.calgary.shaw.ca>...
> > > I have 2 identical machines. How should I set up Oracle to get the best
> > > results? Can I have the servers mirror each other and provide load
> > > balancing as well? I don't want to create a hot standby, it'd be better if
> > > they were both doing something while still providing backup.
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm not sure but probably you can doing something on standby in Oracle 9i.
> > For OPS (RAC) you need usually shared external RAID.
> > Slava.
>
> I have not used 9i Standby but I don't think you can open the standby for use.
> You can do real time sync, but the database is only warm standby. This
> does not meet the poster's requirement of "load balancing".

Hi,
this is citation from Oracle9i Database Concepts : "Logical standby database is a new feature that takes standard Oracle archive logs, transforms them back into SQL transactions, and then applies them to an open standby database. Because the database is open, it is physically different from the primary database. As the standby is logically the same as the primary, it can be used to take over processing if the primary database is mistakenly harmed by human error, a corruption, or a disaster. Because transactions are applied using SQL, the standby database can be used concurrently for other tasks. Decision support can be optimized by using different indexes and materialized views than those on the primary."

Regards,
Slava. Received on Tue Jan 22 2002 - 09:14:27 CST