Re: SQL Loader - Huge file - 70G

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 22 Jan 2002 10:30:25 +0000 (GMT)

shankar <sasubram_at_cisco.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>I would like to get a feedback from people who used sqlloader to load
>huge files.
>I am required to load about 70G data into oracle tables.
>File is in a text format. For better performance purpose, I would like
>to use sqlloader. The files will be split into 1G files. So I will end
>up loading 70 separate files.
>
>Please let me know if there are problem that I might be facing.

Usual problems of massive parallel inserts (assuming you want to run in parallel). Make sure you have enough spare space obviously, enough freelists and freelist groups.

Consider redo, you'll probably be generating more than 140GB of it, you should consider whether you want to do the insert NOLOGGING.

Do you know that all the rows are going to insert, or do you expect a number of rejects? Sorting through tens of thousands of rejects is not my idea of a fun afternoon.

I tend to find best performance from running no more than 2x #CPUs parallel copies of sqlldr. Too many just causes contention.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/