Re: Enterprise Manager / RMAN

From: Andy <enzoweb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2002 17:25:45 -0800

I haven't set this up myself, but did perform an investigation on much the same thing (they didn't want to pay for the extra hardware).

Blue-sky thinking - a separate server for OEM, and one for RMAN, and one for the RMAN backup.

Realistically, I would push for a separate OEM server since, depending on what you are doing, it may need a bit of grunt. Also, although Oracle will tell you that OEM doesn't use many resources, try convincing your users that your database running OEM isn't affecting their performance.

For RMAN, I would recommend placing it on a Production server since it is effectively a Production instance, albeit yours (or the DBA group). Don't forget to have another one on another server backing this one up for redundancy. RMAN isn't resource hungry, and is only being used when the others are quiet by its nature.

If you are really paranoid, the RMAN and RMAN backup servers should be at different sites.

Hope that helps.