Re: Oracle versus Sqlserver

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2002 15:17:16 -0800

"Steffen Ramlow" <s.ramlow_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:<a2gock$119a6i$1_at_ID-54600.news.dfncis.de>...
> wow, cool link! thx alot
>
> "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message
> > "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
> > >Unless they (ms) ported hotmail
> > > recently it has been on UNIX since they acquired the company.
> >

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?mode_u=off&mode_w=on&site=www.hotmail.c
> > om
> >
> > which I know is the website but I believe the mailservers are exch2k now
> as
> > well.
> >

> > --
> > Niall Litchfield
> > Oracle DBA
> > Audit Commission UK

Everyone should note, that site may simply be detecting proxy servers or intermediate hosts. In addition, From the sites FAQ:

Webservers that operate behind a caching system, load balancer, reverse proxy server or a firewall may sometimes report the operating system of the intermediate machine. Hence reports of 'Microsoft/IIS on Linux' may indicate that either the web server is behind a Linux server that is acting as a reverse proxy, or has configured the Akamai caching system such that the first request to the site goes to one of Akamai's servers [which run Linux], or as in the case of www.walmart.com has been configured to send a misleading signature

So wouldn't you purposely mislead if you were Ballmer?

jg

--
"Everybody who hears about it thinks it's ludicrous," said Veeck's
attorney, Eric Weisberg. "It's what they call counterintuitive."  -