Re: IO question

From: Bass Chorng <bchorng_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2002 09:31:13 -0800

"A Wong" <ajkwong5_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<_ml28.17299$467.747785_at_news2.calgary.shaw.ca>...
> it's better to have your index on a seperate physical disk than data,
> correct? how do you accomplish that? create a partition on each disk, but
> how do you put different tablespaces on each disk? also, the database is
> live, so would this take long to do? The install of the database was done
> by using scripts provided by the vendor...so I don't know much about how
> it's set up, but am slowly learning

Now-a-days because of SAN technology, people starting doing SAME - stripe and mirror everything and mix everything together. It is much economical and easier to manage from sys admin point of view. So there is no longer such concept of a separate disk.

Strickly speaking, separating index and table really does not buy you anything. Oracle never reads index and table at the same time, so there shouldn't be any contention anyway.

But for the ease of tablespace management, I do agree separating them is a better idea but there is no need to separate them at disk level. Received on Mon Jan 21 2002 - 11:31:13 CST