Re: Oracle versus Sqlserver

From: Dana Day <dday1960_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2002 09:04:52 -0800

Hello all,

I am a DBA with both platforms, using each for the past several releases.
I do not claim to be omnipotent in either. I do believe they both have a place in the industry.

SQL Server does indeed position itself as a step up from MS-Access. Why not? It is a step up.

Oracle has some strengths also. The "average" Oracle DBA likely is considerably better versed in RDBMS theory and practice. The "average" Oracle system is usually better designed, and maintained.

I believe this happens because Oracle staff generally have more (and more intense) training. You don't step up to Oracle; you either train for it or come from another platform with rather stringent requirements for user/admin proficiency.

SQL Server DBA's are often stepping up from Access, and, in my experience, are not as intensely trained. I don't see this as evil. SQL Server has brought SQL and RDBMS technology a much broader exposure. Shops that would never consider Oracle jump into SQL Server quite easily.

I believe SQL Server is easier to manage and maintain at a lower cost. This makes for a good small shop entry into RDBMS systems.

Oracle is probably still better on a large box, due to its Unix compatibility.
I definitely prefer Oracle for larger, single box solutions.

As for clustering, I think it is six of one, half a dozen of another. A shop with more NT platforms/experience can do better with SQL Server than Oracle.
A shop with lots of Sun/AIX/HP monster boxes can definitely do some major Oracle implementations.

Whichever approach is taken, I see that as a net gain for the industry.

Sincerely,

Dana Day
MS-SQL Server/Sybase/Oracle DBA