Re: How to exp/imp the schema data in the diff character set of oracle 8i?

From: Roman Mirzaitov <rmirzaitov_at_kt.kg>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:22:26 +0500

"news.bentium.com" <rateng_at_163.com> wrote in message news:a2d9t3$5v9$1_at_news.cz.js.cn...
> I want to exp/imp the user schema ,The two oracle 8i character
> set is :
>
> DB a : NLS_CHARACTERSET ZHS16CGB231280 NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET
ZHS16CGB231280

> DB b : NLS_CHARACTERSET US7ASCII NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET US7ASCII
>
> I want to migrate the DB a data to DB b . I try some method, but I don't
> suceess as the chinese don't display in the client after migrate to DB b .
>
> ples help me !!! thanks .

Hi,

the excerpt from export utility manual:
Multibyte Character Sets and Export and Import An export file that is produced with a multibyte character set (for example, Chinese or Japanese) must be imported on a system that has the same character set or where the ratio of the width of the widest character in the import character set to the width of the smallest character in the export character set is 1. If the ratio is not 1, Import cannot translate the character data to the Import character set. Caution: When the character set width differs between the export client and the export server, truncation of data can occur if conversion causes expansion of data. If truncation occurs, Export displays a warning message.

Regards,

Roman Mirzaitov
Brainbench MVP for Oracle Administration www.brainbench.com Received on Mon Jan 21 2002 - 00:22:26 CST