Re: High Availability servers

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 20 Jan 2002 21:39:54 -0800

"A Wong" <ajkwong5_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<jxr18.7067$0c.238526_at_news3.calgary.shaw.ca>...
> I have 2 identical machines. How should I set up Oracle to get the best
> results? Can I have the servers mirror each other and provide load
> balancing as well? I don't want to create a hot standby, it'd be better if
> they were both doing something while still providing backup.

So you have 2 machines and want to use them both for production and have them as each others backup ? That is possible very well. What type of disasters do you anticipate for ? I think this will influence the choice for the configuration. If you only plan for common hardware problems you could choose for ops or rac in 9i and hope that the shared disk system is 100% failsafe. Personally I think that 2 pairs of primary and standby databases would be a nice solution. In that case you have no need for a shared disk system and let dataguard do the work.

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba
Ben je een ervaren dba en wil je dat ergens anders laten zien, mail me dan. Received on Sun Jan 20 2002 - 23:39:54 CST