Re: Filesystem trouble on Linux

From: Klaus Naumann <spock_at_mgnet.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:04:48 +0100

In article <a2c07n$t07$02$1_at_news.t-online.com>, "Markus Haberstock" <mhaberstock_at_uhab.de> wrote:

Hi,

> As I already said, I would not have expected such problems: I know, that
> ext2fs could loose information in cases of power outage, but the
> concerned files were of fixed size!

Well, I wouldn't think that it would loose that much data, but I think it is possible. It is possible that the blocks weren't allocated for this file already at the point of power failure and thus the e2fsck did throw them away - but this is a rather rare case IMHO.
I see some other problem - I assume the RAID Controller has Cache RAM (how much ?), so do you also cache writes and does it have a Battery Backup ?
If you cache writes and it doesn't have a Battery Backup you can never be sure if the data will be on the disks correctly on a system failure.

> Now the questions:
> Can anybody recommend another filesystem to use on the HP server Raid -
> System ? Are there any experiences (good are bad) with journaled
> filesystems ? I personally would prefer Reiser FS, but I'd like to hear
> your opinions and / or experiences.

I know it's a bit of work but in such cases Raw Devices are usefull in my eyes as you can't suffer from FS corruption. The problem is that every FS has bugs and thus will get corrupted sometime. So I personally prefer RAW devices.

        HTH, Klaus

BTW: I hope you have a good Backup :/

--
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network