AIX/Oracle9i: OraInventory Permissions Problem

From: Alvaro Fuentes <alvarof2_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:05:56 GMT

Fellow Oracle'ers:

I am intending to install Oracle9i Enterprise in a RS/6000 AIX 4.3.3.0 for evaluation.

The installation will use the mount point /u01 where the logical volume /dev/lv02,
on hdisk1 is mounted. AIX is in hdisk0. All the pre-reqs and the env variables are
set to Oracle9i specs for AIX.

The DBA user, "oracle", home is in /u01/app/oracle in the lv02 of hdisk1 (instead of /home/oracle hdisk0). oracle user, group dba owns /u01 and
$ORACLE_HOME,

etc. with full writing, reading and executing permisions.

$ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
$ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/products/9.0.1/OraHome1
etc, all owned by oracle (DBAOPER), group dba, and chmod 755, or 777.

Now, the logical volume lv02 has read/write permissions, and write-verify enabled.
Also, as root, I changed /dev and /dev/lv02 to full write chmod 777.

The problem is: As I launch the installer and after asking for the directory where oraInventory will be which I use the default:

$ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory

the installer asks for the UNIX group that will upgrade oracle software, or instructs to leave a blank if I want root to have this permission. Doesn't matter what group I enter, dba, oinstall, sys, system, etc. and blank, the
installer comes with:

"Unable to set the Inventory. You may not have the proper permissions."

The question is: Are there additional permissions that I need to set, if Oracle is going to be in a different pv (AIX physical Volume, ie hdisk)? or is this a bug in the Oracle Universal Installer 2.0.1? Any light on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

A piece of additional information is that if I designate the lv (AIX logical volume) in which /u01 is mounted in the same hdisk
where the AIX OS is, in this case hdisk0 (instead of hdisk1), with the same set permissions for the env variables, the installer runs OK.

Regards,

Alvaro Fuentes
afuentes_at_goodpremises.com
512-297-9937 Received on Sun Jan 20 2002 - 04:05:56 CST