Re: IO question

From: Fergus <sinhask_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:12:36 GMT

see my 2c below

"A Wong" <ajkwong5_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:_ml28.17299$467.747785_at_news2.calgary.shaw.ca...
> it's better to have your index on a seperate physical disk than data,
> correct?

in general, always a good idea - also depends on your hardware, of course

> how do you accomplish that?

by specifying the tablespace datafile location on different disk log in as sysdba and select * from dba_data_files - for file locations you will have to figure out which tablespace constains index and which contains data. look at data and index sql for help.

>create a partition on each disk, but
> how do you put different tablespaces on each disk?

normal disk partitions will not help - since they are logical - physically they are on same disks and use same disk controllers etc. it should be preferable on separate disks.

each tablespace consists of one or more files - see dba_tablespaces and dba_data_files. The location of datafiles is in dba_data_files

>also, the database is
> live, so would this take long to do?

Might need some downtime - depending on your how many datafiles you actually have and what are their sizes - you can do ground work and write scripts beforehand - then all depends on time the datafile copying takes.

If you just wish to move index tablespaces and provided your vendor has not put index and data in same file, you can drop the indexes, drop the tablespaces
and recreate them as per your wish.

>The install of the database was done
> by using scripts provided by the vendor...so I don't know much about how
> it's set up, but am slowly learning

Also verify if moving stuff around will not void support from your vendor - if applicable. Received on Sat Jan 19 2002 - 20:12:36 CST