Re: Education vs manuals

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:17:00 -0000

The problem with training courses is that you usually come off the course knowing how to do what was taught, not what you need to do.

I find the best way is to acquire the software, and then devise and implement a set of scenarios related to what you want to do (and your role).

On courses, I've commonly found the tutor is a professional trainer rather than e.g. Oracle expert with all the advantages and disadvantages that implies.

The big disadvantage of the approach I use is that it takes self-discipline to do and it requires time away from day-to-day activities that your employer may be reluctant to provide.