Re: SQL or Java?

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:03:01 GMT

sqlldr (oracle tool) and some perl?

I don't understand why u have to 'double-check'.

PL/SQL is probablly faster then java for data manipulations (look for threads in this newsgroup for PL/SQL vs. Java), but that was a discussion on within the db (not an outside java app. vs. pl/sql)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:27:26 -0600, "AmoroSSo" <pacomoy_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am working in a project were we need to move a lot of data (100 Million
>records a year) into Oracle (8i).
>We have a Java program (EJB) that does the file and record integrity checks
>and loads the data into three Oracle tables.
>
>Then we run a set of SQL stored procedures to check the integrity and
>validity of the individual fields and store the results in yet another
>table. We believe this process could not be done with the original files,
>since they are just plain text files.
>
>The forth table is then use to create a report that will help the people
>that submitted the data for cleaning purposes, so they can send it again
>(and re-load it into the database). This process goes on until the data is
>as clean as possible. At that point the data in the original three tables is
>moved and converted to another database that will be used for reporting.
>
>This other database is normalized and read only.
>
>The DBA is telling us that we shouldn't use Oracle to do this checking (nor
>the moving to the final database), but an external application like Java or
>C++. Our opinion is that it would be faster, and less intensive for the
>network and the database, to do it in Oracle using PL/SQL.
>
>So the question is ... who is right? or how can I find information or
>benchmarks on this topic.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Paco Morales (francisco_at_ilore.com)

We use Oracle 8.1.6-8.1.7 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes

Andrey Dmitriev	 eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade	 ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email