ORACLE RDBMS XML from CASE tools

From: Feli <jife_at_ementor.no>
Date: 18 Jan 2002 08:05:38 -0800

Hello to everybody here,

I would like to do following: We model the DB in PowerDesigner. It is possible to save the model where all DB objects are included (TABLES, TRIGGERS ...) as XML. I would like to compare an existing ORACLE DB (objects belonging to one ORACLE user) with the DB definition specified in the XML. I have no practical experience with XML but have read a lot about it. So, an idea came to my mind. Is there any set of for example ORACLE XML tags (XML format) that could be used by all CASE tools producers so that results (models saved as XML for ORACLE RDBMS) can be used directly by ORACLE RDBMS? I can imagine then that theoreticaly it would be possbile instead of starting SQL script to generate the DB to use an ORACLE built-in procedure ??? XML_createDB ??? to create the DB from the XML. And at the same way to start something called ??? XML_compareDB ??? where the procedure would compare the current user objects with those defined in the XML.

Maybe this is too theoretical, maybe not.

Our practical usage would be: After the upgrade of DB is finished (we start a set of our SQL alter scripts to upgrade the DB schema) the XML_compareDB (with XML of the last DB model) could be started and so we could check that the upgraded DB is confidental with the latest release.

Doesn't it seem logical?

Thanks for any repsonse concerning this subject. Any link, advice, idea is welcome.

Jiri Received on Fri Jan 18 2002 - 10:05:38 CST