Re: Oracle versus Sqlserver

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:43:04 -0000

> "Daniel A. Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Because you can't run a company that big on Win2000 and SQL Server.

I know we've argued about this before but I still think this is untrue. One might argue how sensible it is but SQLServer is a respectable competitor to Oracle. Pretending it isn't doesn't help anyone.

> > Bill would not risk his fortune on his own software: Would you? Reminds
me
> of
> > a joke that went around Boeing when I was consulting there. It went like
> > this: "Would Bill Gates fly on an airplane if the operating system was
> NT?":
> > Would you?

Of course I wouldn't fly on NT. On the other hand a Solaris powered boeing doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either. Crashing once is too much for a safety critical system and none of the unices or big RDBMS systems out there can guarantee it.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA