ias config problem

From: David Timerman <david.timerman_at_insurfact.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:03:10 -0500

Hello,

I am relatively new to Apache. I have most things running fine. It is Oracle IAS 8i btw, which happens to just be Apache and JServ. Anyways, I have two domains on the machine with but only 1 ip address. So, I setup named based VHosts for the 2 domains. With all that said, I have encountered a number of problems.

The first domain I entered into the config works fine and dandy. The problem lies with the second one. As you will see in the snipet below, my DocumentRoot is set to /disk1/u01/webdevel/insurfact/. When I attempt to go to the URL, http://www.domain.com, index.html is served and all is well. The problem lies in trying to go to Login.jsp. It too is in the DocumentRoot, however when I attempt to request it, I must enter http://www.domain.com/insurfact/Login.jsp.

The problems, grow even deeper......
It isn't so bad having to add the extra directory to the URL, however, when ever I make the slightest change to the vhost entry, whether it is a good change or a faulty one, everything goes bezerk. For one thing, to get to Login.jsp I merely have to put http://www.domain.com/Login.jsp. When I actually try to use a JSP file, I now get:

Request URI:/pages/welcome.jsp

Exception:
javax.servlet.ServletException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /disk1/u01/webdevel/insurfact/insurfact/welcome.jsp (No such file or directory)

the error lies in the extra insurfact directory added to the path. Sometimes the path returned will also be
/disk1/u01/webdevel/insurfact//insurfact/welcome.jsp. This doesn't only effect JSP files for this vhost, but for the other domain as well. The other domain returns the same error but with the path /disk1/u01/webdevel//pages/welcome.jsp instead. The weird thing is the file is not even in the pages directory and the double '/' as well!!! When I remove the new addition to the vhost entry of www.domain.com, the error persists. Once I comment out this domains vhost entry, the first domain goes back to normal. Eventually after headaches, mucho trying and the complaints of coworkers, the 'bad' vhost WORKS AS BEFORE!!!!! How can this be!!!!!!

If this isn't enough to drive you insane, there is more! I set the DirectoryIndex to index.html Login.jsp.... Login.jsp is NEVER served, when I have no index.html in the directory I get a 404 saying that "index.jsp" cannot be found.

Please I beg for any help that can be given. If possible please reply via e-mail, if not that's ok and I'll check back later -> david.timerman_at_insurfact.com.... The vhost snipet I am pasting at the bottom is the current one, I have tried commenting out entries, adding other entries, changing this and that....

<VirtualHost 10.10.10.8:5000>

ServerAdmin postmaster_at_domain2.com
DocumentRoot /disk1/u01/webdevel/
ServerName mccoy
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.domain1.com:5000>

ServerName www.domain1.com
ServerAdmin postmaster_at_domain2.com
DocumentRoot /disk1/u01/webdevel/copoloff/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost domain1.com:5000>

ServerName domain1.com
ServerAdmin postmaster_at_domain2.com
DocumentRoot /disk1/u01/webdevel/copoloff/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost domain2.com:5000>

ServerName domain2.com
ServerAlias domain2.com www.domain2.com
ServerAdmin postmaster_at_domain2.com
DocumentRoot /disk1/u01/webdevel/insurfact/
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost TheMachinesIP:5000

thanks and toodles Received on Fri Jan 18 2002 - 09:03:10 CST