Re: SQL or Java?

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:31:23 GMT

In article <a26k9n$1na4$1_at_josh.sovintel.ru>, "andrey" <aakit_at_softhome.net> wrote:
>It would. C program >100 times faster then Oracle server, because it use
>native compiled code.
>Rare C program with "Hello world" functionality exceeds processors cash, so
>boost can be enormouse.

I seriously doubt this. C++ won't increase disk I/O (the real bottleneck here) at all. In relational lookups, Oracle's indexing and caching has the advantage... unless we're only talking about a small amount of data (not my impression) that can be completely cached in memory. If C++ programs were 100+ times faster at relational database processing (btw, what is Oracle written in?), there wouldn't be much point in Oracle's existence, now would there.

And we're OBVIOUSLY not talking about "Hello World" functionality here. So why bring it up???? Received on Fri Jan 18 2002 - 07:31:23 CST