Re: procedures in dba studio

From: Daniel A. Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:57:30 +0000

Glad to help.

The reason migrated SQL Server code is garbage is that the underlying architecture is different. In SQL Server you use lots of temporary tables. In Oracle, while it has them, they are hardly ever used. The locking is different. In Oracle reads and writes don't block so code written for SQL Server where they do is a workaround for what is unnecessary. And as SQL Server has no multiversioning and no SHARED POOL code written for that environment is generally highly serialized and does not take advantage of Oracle's strongest features. And, as you mention, the exception handling. But I doubt and migration tool will create custom exceptions, PRAGMA EXCEPTION_INIT, PRAGMA AUTONOUMOUS_TRANSACTION, or packages.

If you are happy with what you got ... great. But someone reworking it to take advantage of Oracle could probably improve performance by 500-1000% while greatly increasing scalability.

Daniel Morgan