Re: Cache buffer chains latch bug (8.1.7.2)

From: Scott Gamble <zifnab_at_NOSPAM.reddragon.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:29:49 GMT

None of the below was the real issue. To quickly recap the original thread..

The application is a third party app, that inserts rows into a table to facilitate what is the main query of this app. It then takes those rows from that table and joins them to a 37 million row table.

The resulting range scan on the index of that 37 million row table was the contention point (the root block of the index). There are about 100 sessions possibly doing this query at the same time.

That query has been a problem since version 7.3.4, however the move from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7 brought it to its knees without a single application change.

Oracle did accept it as a bug, and did produce that one off patch.

We never did get the complete problem out of oracle, but it seems that they were pinning that block more than in the older versions (which I think Jonathon Lewis mentioned in that earlier thread.).

Just as another followup we have been on 8.1.7 with this 'production/test' database now for quite a few weeks, and have not had one single problem with it. Now we just have to convince managment to let us upgrade the real production servers again.

Scott