Re: Oracle 9iAS Question

From: Cristian Veronesi <c.veronesi_at_crpa.it>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:32:33 +0100

Diane Johnston wrote:

> I have been given the task of getting some Oracle forms and reports up
> on the intranet. However we don't have the software installed to do
> this. I've been scouring the Oracle sites and i'm confused as to whether
> i am to install Oracle Web Application Server or Oracle 9i Internet
> Application Server or are they the same thing? I may be a bit over my
> head here and just need pointing in the right direction. There is so
> much info out on the Oracle sites i'm overwhelmed. No budget to take a
> course on installation and deployment but are there any good books i can
> follow? Do i also need to install Forms and Reports developer 6i (and
> develop the apps) on the same server as the Web stuff? Hopefully the
> right book will be clear enough and with our DBA's help i just might get
> this going.

Oracle (Web) Application Server and Oracle 9i Application Server are basically two different versions of the same product, that was renamed many times during its history. With the release or Oracle 8i Application Server (later renamed to Oracle 9i Application Server) version numbering restarted from 1.0. Current version is 1.0.2.2.1/1.0.2.2.2 (it depends on the platform) but a new major release is on the way (version numbering will be aligned to the RDBMS so it will be 9.something). 9iAS 1.0.2.2 includes the software (Forms Services and Report Services) for deploying Forms 6i and Reports 6i applications on the web. I don't think you need a course for learn how to install the product and deploy the apps. The product includes a CD with a lot of documentation so you can start from there.

Good luck! :)
Best regards, Cristian

--
Cristian Veronesi ><((((º> http://www.crpa.it

There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American
Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. (Bart Simpson)