Re: How does Oracle identify a user as DBA

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2002 06:42:08 -0800

"Daniel A. Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3C45775E.4E174224_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Oracle does not identify users as DBA.
>
> DBA is just the name of a role that contains multiple system privileges.
>
> Daniel Morgan
>
> Faisal Qasim wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > On the basis of which system privileges, Oracle defines a user as DBA?
> >
> > A DBA is allowed to login, even after max. no. of sessions exceeded.
> >
> > Regards

Actually, I think Faisal may be asking how does Oracle know if an OS user is authorized to use svrmgrl or sqlplus /nolog to perform restricted operations. If so the answer depends on the security set-up at installation, that is, is a password file configured, OS Roles, or the option we still use which is upon executing either of the preceeding two utilities Oracle checks the Unix group and if the OS user is in group DBA then they can perform a connect internal and start/stop the database, run recovery, etc.... If the OS user is not in the UNIX DBA group they cannot use the utilities.