Re: Oracle versus Sqlserver

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:24:31 GMT

Steffen Ramlow doodled thusly:

>LOL... r u talking about mss 4.21?

i think he meant the latest whitest and brightest from M$. it still suffers from most RDBMS limitations that plagued 4.21. But of course some of us will believe anything M$ (or ORACLE) tells us...

>> Footnote:
>> Oracle is the first commercial Sql database and is 25 years old in 2002,
>> ie. it has been around since 1977.

not exactly.

First, Oracle was NOT a commercial product in 1977. more like 1979/80.

Second, the first *commercial* (by this I mean you could buy it) SQL database was IBM's SQL/DS, not Oracle. In 1977. I know: I got the marketing stuff for it back then, when I was working with DOS/VSE and Cobol at Berger Paints.

Let's not forget that Ted Codd worked for IBM, not Oracle... I'm afraid if we go to the "firsts" bit, IBM has a better story. Not as consistent, but still better.

>Larry Ellision the founder of Oracle
>> has been championing the Sql language before there was any company around
>> like Microsoft.

that is indeed very true.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Jan 17 2002 - 08:24:31 CST