Can I do it in a single SQL statement?

From: godmann <allanwtham_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2002 23:08:00 -0800

Hi,

  I have a case where a query result like this

  name age type

  John     30       A
  Peter    31       A
  Andrew   29       B
  James    25       B
  Philip   27       B

 need to be transformed into a query result like this

  name age type counttype

  John     30       A        2
  Peter    31       A        2
  Andrew   29       B        3
  James    25       B        3
  Philip   27       B        3

Note that counttype is 2 for both John and Peter have A (total A is 2) and the rest have 3 (total B is 3)

  How is that possible in one single sql statement?? I bet PL/SQL need to be in place in order to achieve this!!

Allan W. Tham
DBA Received on Thu Jan 17 2002 - 01:08:00 CST