Using Oracle export utility (exp)

From: Tony Ferrazzo <tferrazz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2002 15:00:34 -0800

Hi,

   I am using exp with its many wonderful switches to do table maintenance. I am using a unix shell script which will be setup to run as a cron job. My question is:

The exp utility does not seem to give any indication of success or failure, for example, I deliberately ran the script to exp a non existant table. The log showed the exp utility reporting the table did not exist but then went on to say the "Export terminated successfully without warnings." A unix check with $? always returns a 0 indicating success. AS we want to exp tables, drop them and then import them back, we need to be 100% sure the exp did in fact work.

Hopefully someone can provide some ideas or assistance with this issue.

Thanks in advance

Tony Ferrazzo Received on Wed Jan 16 2002 - 17:00:34 CST