Re: client can't connect after RRAS has an external connection

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:45:56 +0100

On 16 Jan 2002 10:22:42 -0800, kevin.dauch_at_nettest.com (Kevin Dauch) wrote:

>Help...
> I have a java client that connects to an Oracle (8.1.5) database
>on Windows NT Server SP5. The connection is made via jdbc and Oracle
>Thin client. This server also has Routing and Remote Access
>installed. When another computer dials in and a ppp connection is
>made, the client which is colocated on the server, can't connect to
>the database. When I do a tnsping of the Oracle databse it returns
>OK. I have noticed that before a dialup connection is made to the
>server, I can tnsping the hostname of the server. After a dialup
>connection is made a tnsping of the server's hostname fails. I have
>to believe that the Oracle listener is no longer fully connected to
>the database. Any ideas of what to look for would be apreciated.
>Thanks.

My suspicions are this is not being caused by Oracle at all, but by Routing and Remote Access.
Did you try an ordinary dos ping? It looks to me you can't even get contact to the server.
Did you check the database is running. tnsping only demonstrates a listener is running on the server.
Did you check the listener.log file?
Listener are not connected to databases permanently at all, so that is not the type of problem to search for.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Jan 16 2002 - 12:45:56 CST